View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teego wrote:
http://www.exup1000.co.uk/meets/matlock_300406.htm

Wow that was a while ago

I've not forgotten about the bike, it's just I have to get the Twincam roadworthy so have moth balled the bike to give me chance to get the car sorted.
Luckily things are progressing well so hope to have it back on its wheels before winter. All the hard work is done now. Just got the underneath to Paint then I can start bolting all the refurbished bits back on.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotagenesis wrote:
You said you adjusted the brake lever to suit you. Is the plunger pushing the master cylinder slightly stopping the fluid returning to the reservoir, basically causing hydraulic lock which can be quite dangerous if it locks the brake completely.

Iíve tried the brake lever in different positions and it has the same amount of free play and braking pressure. Itís not long ago since I changed the rear mc so that should be fine. Itís a tricky one but I wont give in. There is a way of it not getting hot and that is not using the rear brake at all. big grin
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuggitt wrote:
itsnotagenesis wrote:
You said you adjusted the brake lever to suit you. Is the plunger pushing the master cylinder slightly stopping the fluid returning to the reservoir, basically causing hydraulic lock which can be quite dangerous if it locks the brake completely.

Iíve tried the brake lever in different positions and it has the same amount of free play and braking pressure. Itís not long ago since I changed the rear mc so that should be fine. Itís a tricky one but I wont give in. There is a way of it not getting hot and that is not using the rear brake at all. big grin

John, I know you've been at the problem like a terrier trying to kill a ferret.
As an observer it seems to me that after you apply and release the brake the pad is not moving away from the disc but is binding.
Obviously, if you haven't done it already, I'd remove the caliper and see if the pads push in easily. If they don't, you have an upstream issue. Possibly a blocked breather hole in your master cylinder which stops the diaphragm expanding to absorb the fluid movement.
If it's a downstream problem you have crap pads and need to change them.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

On my last inspection I did take the pads out and I pumped the pistons out slightly just to see if they were coming out ok and they were. like I mentioned in my last post above when it came to push them back in it took a lot of pressure. It's looking like the MC could be the problem. I do remember a few years back taking the MC off and giving it a good clean up and I think there's either 2 or 3 little holes in there (fading memory) and I'm sure there was a bit of dirt in one of them. I might as well order a new kit for that, then I've done the job lot.

I've just had a look in my bike history book to see when I last changed the gubbins in the master cylinder and for some reason I don't seem to have it. Very odd because I'm a bit of an anorak when comes to writing stuff in the book with the jobs I do.

Thank God the clutch is fine. Ooops should I have said that?

As for the pads they are brand new see photos on page 1. nod
nuggitt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve just ordered a new kit. It should be here for the weekend. If Iím going to do it I might as well do it from scratch to make sure itís all working correctly.
Iím off out for a ride tomorrow so Iím going to push the pistons back in before I set off and not use the rear brake.

Iíll be back..... big grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: