View previous topic :: View next topic  
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: 1990 FZR 1000 starting fault/fuelling ? Reply with quote

Can anyone assist with a starting fault ?

I have a '90 3GM FZR1000

It starts fine on choke (fuel is low so reserve switch is selected), it will idle on choke and as soon as you crank the throttle, it dies
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added that the Exup solenoid does not appear to prime when ignition is powered.

I can hear the fuel pump priming though
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike has been stood for a while I'd start by checking the air filter and empty the tank before refilling with Shell V-power.
Seems like you have a spark, so if this doesn't fix it I'd do a carb service.
Nuggit will probably along to help you do that.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil and welcome to the mad house. big grin

Teego seems to think I'm some carb guru. laugh laugh

They baffle the life out of me sometimes. It's just taken me four month to get my tick over sorted out.

Teego's got you started with draining the tank and checking to see if the air filter is cleanish . You say it's low on fuel and it's on reserve? Have you had a look inside the tank to see if there's any rust anywhere? When tanks are left empty for a while they start to rust then the flaky bits start to block the little filter inside the tank.

Get a torch/lamp and turn the torch/lamp on before you go near the opened filler cap. That's just a precaution because If you've got a dodgy torch/lamp and you turn the torch/lamp on at the filler cap and if there's a small spark then it could ignite the vapours. I've seen it happen. nod Then do the same when you take the torch/lamp away to turn it off.

Get some fresh fuel in the tank and if you can drain the float bowls with the drain screw plugs. They can be a pig to get to but if thereís any old fuel in there it wonít help matters. You say the pump primes up ok and does it stop after a while? When youíve got fresh fuel in turn the ignition on and let the pump prime up again and then drain the carb float bowls again and take it from there and see how it goes. If itís the same then the jets will probably be gummed up with crap which will mean a carb strip down and clean. You could get lucky. Iíve known bikes been stood for decades and they started up after a couple of tries. That was in the days before they started adding Ethanol to the petrol, that stuff ruins the rubber seals etc in the carbs but I have a cure for that, lets hope you donít need it.

Get back to us with what happens and weíll plod on with it and try and get you on the road before the summer disappears.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for responses

I'm thinking is it the digital ignitor box, as it appears ignition. As soon as it sees throttle input, cuts dead. Do the bikes have a throttle switch ?

The cars were fully serviced about a Year ago, I know how the fuel can contaminate, but before I rip them off the bike, just thinking its some kind of electronic issue

Will the bike run/idle if the ignitor box fails ?
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phfzr wrote:
thanks for responses

I'm thinking is it the digital ignitor box, as it appears ignition. As soon as it sees throttle input, cuts dead. Do the bikes have a throttle switch ?

The cars were fully serviced about a Year ago, I know how the fuel can contaminate, but before I rip them off the bike, just thinking its some kind of electronic issue

The FZR1000s dont have throttle switches or TPS so the ignitor cannot see throttle position.

id be surprised if the bike would run at all with a duff ignitor - it isnt a complex item by most ecu standards.

if the bike has been stood then it might be that orifices for idle jet have stayed clear but the orifices [float jet?] have gummed up hence why it idles but wont throttle.

If you think it is ignition then replace plugs first before you go more expensive/more complex - plugs dont like getting repeated rich mixtures on them that isnt cleared off by riding. start with the simple stuff, not the complicated.
phfzr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilninggas wrote:
phfzr wrote:
thanks for responses

The FZR1000s dont have throttle switches or TPS so the ignitor cannot see throttle position.

id be surprised if the bike would run at all with a duff ignitor - it isnt a complex item by most ecu standards.

if the bike has been stood then it might be that orifices for idle jet have stayed clear but the orifices [float jet?] have gummed up hence why it idles but wont throttle.

If you think it is ignition then replace plugs first before you go more expensive/more complex - plugs dont like getting repeated rich mixtures on them that isnt cleared off by riding. start with the simple stuff, not the complicated.

thats good information, guess I have to remove the carbs

will keep everyone updated, but will be a few weeks before I get to it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: