View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratcher
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Thunder Ace brake problem Reply with quote

The Ace I acquired about two months ago has always had iffy brakes... definitely not the famed Yamaha 'Blue Spot' Stoppers.

When all of my stuff to give her a service had arrived I decided today was the day, so I start with a front brake bleed...

The fluid wasn't particularly grotty but brownish, the right hand caliper (looking at the front of the bike) bled as expected with the new fluid showing up in the pipe. I waited about 10 mins and rebled the right hand caliper but no bubbles.
I moved on the left one and repeated the process. Just after the clean fluid appeared in the pipe, the brake lever stopped resisting the pressure I applied. I quickly checked under the bike, the calipers, the banjo... no liquid.
I checked both bleed nipples were tight - So I have no leak and very little if any pressure to the calipers.

IS IT SAFE TO ASSUME THE MASTER CYLINDER SEALS HAVE GONE AND ARE ALLOWING FLUID TO MOVE AROUND IT? SHOULD I GET A MASTER CYLINDER REPAIR KIT?

Help on this would be greatly appreciated!
nismo
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they the two piece (Thunderace) blue spots with a link pipe, or the later single piece units?
Scratcher
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Thunder ace linked brakes Reply with quote

Hi Nismo...I know, I know....a year to reply.
Ya see Iíve been away (not banged up away) but working abroad. I got an offer I couldnít refuse.

The brakes are the standard 1996 two piece with the link pipe. Does the air get trapped in 5he link pipe?
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to strip both the master cylinder (look for the large lump of gloop) & also the calipers. Remove the piston seals & clean behind where the seals sat in the ring land. Reassemble with proper seal grease & if you've got original brake lines in place , replace them with Goodridge or HEL lines.

Bleed the system with the master cylinder pointing downwards

www.blood.co.uk
Crazy L
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointing downwards? I've not heard of that one, I'll have to give it a go next time I do my 'ace brakes.

I had a 'Cat too and they have always been a sod to bleed, just when you think no more bubbles could appear....."pop pop", lol.

Stonking brakes though once done, especially with braided hoses and EBC HH sintered pads in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: